- Master of Laws (University of Antwerp)
- Criminology (Ghent University)
- Master of Laws (University of Chicago Law School - Fellowship of the Belgian American, Educational Foundation) (1984-1985)
- Doctor of Laws (Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg im Breisgau)
Michael Faure has been affiliated with various academic institutions in the Netherlands since 1988. Initially he worked part time as a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Criminal Law and Criminology at Leiden University; afterwards, as of 1 September 1991, he became full professor of Comparative and International Environmental Law and the Director of the European Institute for Transnational Legal Research (METRO) at the Law Faculty of Maastricht University.
As of 1 February 2008 he also began teaching part time as a professor of Comparative Private Law and Economics at the Rotterdam Institute of Law and Economics (RILE) of the Erasmus School of Law in Rotterdam.
Additional academic positions:
- Professor of Comparative and International Environmental Law at Maastricht University (full time since 1991 - part time since 2008)
- Academic Director of the European Institute for Transnational Legal Research (METRO) at the Faculty of Law of Maastricht University
- Professor of Comparative Private Law and Economics at the Rotterdam Institute of Law and Economics (RILE) at the Erasmus School of Law in Rotterdam
In addition to his academic work, he practises as a lawyer and continues to plea bargain for cases within his field of specialisation, environmental criminal law. In practical terms, Dr Michael Faure and his team often provides Agio with practical assistance and support in several of our environmental law cases.